Will you ever be able to totally eliminate your foreign accent when you speak American English?
The truth is, probably not. However, you can make improvements to your speech that will allow native speakers to understand you more easily. ✪
In order to make those changes, you need to learn some accent reduction strategies.*
How much you improve will depend on these factors:
- Your ability to identify the speech features that are contributing to your accent
- Your motivation to improve
- Your ability to practice daily (even if it’s only for 15 minutes)
- Your ability to discriminate new sounds and patterns
* Learning to improve your spoken American English does not mean simply learning to articulate the 44 vowel & consonant sounds.
You must also learn to use the correct stress patterns in words & phrases. These are 2 of the key factors to speaking English in a way that Americans will understand you. ✰
You will not change your accent overnight… but with focused practice and commitment you can speak English more confidently and clearly!
I help people do this all the time in my accent reduction coaching program.
To read MORE about accent reduction click on one of the posts below. There is a lot to learn on this American accent blog. OR if you want weekly UPDATES on my TIPS, add your name and email address to the box on the right.
Your information is completely confidential!
Tags: accent reduction chinese speakers, Accent Reduction Coaching, accent reduction for arabic speakers, accent reduction french speakers, accent reduction indians, accent reduction japanese speakers, accent reduction korean speakers, Accent Reduction Techniques