How to Pronounce US Cities & States
Most non native speakers of American English never learned to pronounce US cities & states clearly and correctly.
One Easy Rule
Here’s one easy rule you need to use when pronouncing US cities and states.
1. When saying a city name with two words, stress the second word more than the first.
Here are are few examples:
- New York ~ stress York
- North Carolina ~ stress Carolina
- Miami Beach ~stress Beach
- United States ~stress States
2. When saying a city followed by a state, stress the state more than the city.
- Chicago, Illinois ~ stress Illinois
- Los Angeles, California ~stress California
- Atlanta, Georgia ~stress Georgia
- Edison, New Jersey~stress Jersey
Stress is Really Important!
American English is a stress timed language.
That means that you need to stress words correctly if you want native speakers to understand you.
I teach you the rules for pronouncing all 50 states and 50 US cities & clearly and correctly in my downloadable audio course called How to Pronounce US Cities & States.
Follow the link to learn more about this very popular course. You’ll feel more confident saying US cities & states once you take this short course!
About the author
Susan Ryan is an accent reduction coach. Contact her with your questions about clear American speech.