I buy lots of American English pronunciation & accent reduction books. This is because I like to have a variety of interesting materials to use with my accent reduction coaching clients.
Last week a couple of people asked me if I used the book Speak Business English Like an American.
I didn’t have a copy ….but I decided to buy one.
After looking though the book & listening to the CD, here are my pros and cons:
First the Pros
- Excellent real life dialogs
- Authentic integration of American English idioms
- In depth explanations of American English idioms
- Clear and concise recordings in male and female voices
- Additional fill in the blank exercises
Now for the Cons
- The book does not teach you accent reduction or pronunciation rules
- The CD is only about one hour long
I’m glad that I bought the book and I know that I’ll get a great deal of use out of it.
However, if you want a book that focuses on American accent rules & practice, I’d get a copy of Mastering the American Accent with Audio CDs.
Finally, if you are an iPad user, my iBook-American Accent Fundamentals–teaches you the fundamental rules for speaking English with an American accent.
Since this is a multitouch book (with audio & video embedded) it’s only available for the iPad.