Hi, it’s Susan with actionable advice on how to speak English in a way that Americans will like and understand.
In this post I’m gonna start by asking you a question. Here it is.
Which skill below do you think is the most important for speaking clear American English?
1. Perfect articulation of American vowel sounds.
2. Perfect articulation of American consonant sounds.
3. Learning to speak with the melody of American English.
Most people choose number 1 or 2.
However, in my experience (and research confirms this) learning to speak with the melody of American English will make your speech sound clear faster than focusing on vowel and consonant articulation.
What do I mean by melody?
• When I say melody, I mean the stressed ‘n unstressed syllables.
• When I say melody, I mean the stressed ‘n unstressed words.
• When I say melody, I mean the way vocal pitch rises ‘n falls when you ask questions.
Why is melody so important?
The melody of American English is critically important for three reasons.
1. When you stress the correct syllable in words, Americans will almost always understand the word.
2. When you stress the correct word in each phrase, Americans will hear the key words in your message (they don’t need to hear every word).
3. When you use rises ‘n falls in pitch when asking questions, Americans will find your speech likable and engaging.
Learn the skills you need to communicate with Americans
Do you want to speak English in a way that Americans like? Do you want to speak English is a way that Americans can easily understand?
If the answer is YES, I invite you to take a free trial lesson at my ConfidentVoice American accent training center.
Learn to speak with the melody of American English and you’ll find that Americans like it!
About the author
Susan Ryan is an American English communication and accent reduction coach. Contact her with your questions about clear American speech.